U.S. Passport Denials for Child Support Arrears


Today, it’s easier than ever for local child support agencies to collect past-due child support thanks to being able to track parents through technology. Even though it’s easier than ever, that doesn’t mean collecting child support is a cinch because it’s not.

According to the Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE), sometimes it can be difficult to collect past-due child support, especially when the parent owes tens of thousands of dollars. The OCSE goes on to explain how the average child support debt is a whopping $21,000. In an effort to collect past-due child support, the Passport Denial Program was established.

“The Passport Denial Program provides an effective tool to collect past-due support from delinquent parents who want to travel outside of the United States — for vacation, work, or any other reason,” states the OCSE.

Passport Denial Program

Under the Passport Denial Program, if you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you cannot receive a U.S. passport because you are not eligible. If you are in arrears $2,500 or more, you are expected to pay (or in some cases make arrangements) the appropriate state child support agency before applying for your passport. We suggest contacting our firm for professional assistance with this matter.

When you fall behind on child support, your passport isn’t the only thing at risk. When you owe back child support, you face driver license suspension, professional and business license suspensions, hunting and fishing license suspensions, bank account seizures, real estate liens, negative credit reporting, tax refund and stimulus check intercepts, and more.

If you have fallen behind, reach out to our firm for help. If you can’t afford your obligation, it’s important to petition the court for a downward modification as soon as possible, especially since child support is not retroactive.

Contact us today for knowledgeable legal representation in your child support case.

Related Posts
  • When to Consult an Attorney on a Family Law Modification Read More
  • Child Support & College Expenses Read More
  • Modifying Child Support in Texas Read More